Tuesday, October 12, 2010

When Baljinnyam met and Dashnyam

Sunday was an auspicious day in the Tibetan/Mongolian Buddhist calendar, its is the day when gods Baljinnyam and Dashnyam meet,  -  for an explanation  of the Buddhist mythology look here , - and many couples decide to get married on such auspicious dates. I was invited to two wedding dinners, both were joyful occasions.The food was delicious, and there were singers and musicians. Look out for the Mongolian musicians on the new BBC series Human Planet /Music Planet, they played at Jan's wedding and were great and will be performing in London in November.

I have settled back in Ulaanbaatar. My flat is in a great location in the centre of town and in the same block as my favourite vegetarian restaurant. Which is fine, except when it was closed 'cos Richard Gere was expected.


There is a small park in the front and when i arrived bleary eyed  and jet lagged I was surprised to see flowers in bloom, closer inspection they were plastic




In communist times it was one of the most prestigious buildings, located next to government building, now it is dwarfed by skyscrapers and the prestige locations are in modern blocks, or out of town on the edge of the forest.


After 10 months away I have noted a few changes. The increasing money from mining development is apparent. The Louis Vuitton shop has been joined by Armani, and I even saw a Lamborghini in the street, Mongolia must be one of most unsuitable countrries for such a low slung car. The increased affluence also shows in many hundreds of trees which have been planted around town during the last year.






However the affluence also highlights the inequalities. A friend who works as a social worker in the countryside outside Ulaanbaatar is trying to raise money for a kindergaarten where there is no furniture or toys for the children.

My work is going well, I am based with a Mongolian NGO, the Sustainable Tourism Development Centre. At present I am working on two projects, a continuation of my work with Mercy Corps supporting rural communities develop tourism, and a Dutch funded programme helping Mongolian tour companies develop European markets.

I am also finding time to do research for my PhD.

So far I have had little opportunity to do any birding, but hopefully that will change as I have trips scheduled to the countryside later this month.

No comments: